Stanford Earth benefits tremendously from the advice and support provided by its three volunteer boards and the individuals who serve as members. The boards have distinct memberships and mandates, as described below. In each case, membership is by invitation.
The Advisory Board is composed of alumni and friends who provide counsel to the dean on the most substantive issues facing the school and advise on high-level direction and goals. For more information, please contact Jennifer Leinbach.
- Kai Anderson (BS ’93 Geology, PhD ’98 Geological and Environmental Sciences), Chief Executive Officer, Cassidy and Associates
- Lisa Cirenza (BS '85 Applied Earth Sciences, AM '87 International Policy Studies), Artist, Junctions Studios, London
- Phillip S. Estes ('83 Applied Earth Sciences), Co-Founder and Managing Partner, Horizon Holdings, LLC
- Lilian Fandriana (MS ’79 Petroleum Engineering), Chief Executive Officer, Bumi Hasta Mukti Pte. Ltd.
- Stefan Heck (BS ’92 Symbolic Systems), Founder and CEO, NAUTO
- James F. Illich (BS '84 Petroleum Engineering), Founder & CEO, Freestone International LLC
- Amy Luers (PhD ’04 Geology & Environmental Science, MA ‘03 International Policy Studies), Assist Director Climate Resilience, Office of Science & Technology Policy
- Bradford Mills (BS ’77, MS ’79 Geology; Parent ’17), Managing Director, Plinian Capital
- John H. Moragne* (MS ’83 Applied Earth Sciences, MBA ’86), Senior Managing Partner & Co-Founder, Trident Capital
- Kiran K. Pande (MS ’85, PhD ’89 Petroleum Engineering), PetroAssests, Inc.
- Taylor Reid (BS '85 Petroleum Engineering), President and COO, Oasis Petroleum
- Martha G. Roberts (BS '04, MS '06 Earth Systems), Attorney, Environmental Defense Fund
- David Rogers (AB '80 Economics, JD '83; Parent '11 and '18), Lecturer, Stanford University Graduate School Business and Stanford Law School
- Tad Schirmer, General Manager, Earth Science Department, Chevron Corporation
- Kwaku Temeng (MS ’80, ENG ’82, PhD ’88 Petroleum Engineering), Director of Upstream, Aramco Services Company
The Alumni Council is made up of degree holders from each of the school’s departments and interdisciplinary programs. They meet annually to offer input and advice on the school’s alumni programs and services. For more information, please contact Astrid Thompson.
- Osman Apaydin (MS ‘98 Energy Resources Engineering), Division Reservoir Engineering Manager, EOG Resources, Inc.
- Cat Chang (MS ‘12 E-IPER, MBA ’12), Director of Marketing Programs, Planet Labs
- Lily Cheng (BS ‘06, MS ‘10 Earth Systems), Product Designer and Researcher, Fitbit
- Jake Covault* (BS ’04, PhD ’08 Geological and Environmental Sciences), Research Scientist and leader of the Quantitative Clastics Laboratory, Bureau of Economic Geology, University of Texas at Austin
- Erin Craig (BS ‘84 Geophysics), Managing Director, Origin Climate
- Meredith Lopuch (MS ‘01 Earth Systems), Program Officer, Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
- Rajiv Lulla (MS ‘99 Energy Resources Engineering), Associate Partner, IBM (Digital Transformation for Global Business Analytics & Strategy )
- Hari Mix (BS ‘08 Geological and Environmental Sciences, PhD ‘14 Earth System Science), Assistant Professor of Environmental Studies and Sciences, Santa Clara University
- Tom Parsons (MS ’90, PhD ‘92 Geophysics), Senior Research Geophysicist, U.S. Geological Survey
Petroleum Investments Committee (PIC)
The PIC is a group of alumni volunteers who use their academic training and broad energy industry expertise to manage the school’s Petroleum Investments Funds, an important source of discretionary income for use by the dean to support teaching and research. For more information, please contact Kevin Robbins.
- Kenneth A. Breitenbach (BA ’79 Human Biology, MS ’82 Petroleum Engineering), Breitenbach Petroleum Corporation, Denver, CO
- Brian R. Cebull (BS ’93 Mechanical Engineering), Nance Resources, Inc., Billings, MT
- James S. Crain (MBA '12), EnCap Investments, L.P., Dallas, TX
- Andrew L. Evans (PhD ’88 Geology, MBA ’04), ARC Financial Corporation, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Thomas M. Giallonardo (BS ’70 Petroleum Engineering), Georgetown, TX
- H. Brock Hudson (BS ’83 Earth Sciences), Amegy Bank, Houston, TX
- Jonathan G. Kuespert (MS ’84 Applied Earth Sciences), American Energy Partners, LP, Oklahoma City, OK
- Peter J. Lellis (BS '81 Geophysics), Advance Energy Partners, LLC, Houston, TX
- Oscar Mascarenhas (MS '99 Petroleum Engineering, MS '05 Management Science & Engineering), Exxon Mobil Development Company, Houston, TX
- Richard R. Mrlik (BS ’81 Mechanical Engineering, ENG ’02 Petroleum Engineering), High Plains Operating Company, LLC, San Francisco, CA
- Kiran K. Pande* (MS ’85, PhD ’89 Petroleum Engineering), PetroAssests, Inc., Castro Valley, CA
- Markus Buchgraber (PHD '13 Energy Resources Engineering)
- John M. Ellis (MS ’81, ENG ’82 Petroleum Engineering), MUFG Union Bank of California, San Luis Obispo, CA
- Daniel P. Goodman (MBA '11), NGP Energy Capital Management, LLC, TX
- Sarah Hudson Penn (MS '13 Environment and Resources, MBA '12)
- Spencer S. Quam (MS '79 Geophysics), Galp Energia Exploração e Produção, Lisbon, Portugal
- Larry J. Rairden (MS '80 Geophysics), Nova Geoscience & EOS Energy LLC, Houston, TX
- Luis Rodriguez (MBA ’13), Founder & CEO, Raisa Energy
- Pallav Sarma (PHD '06, MS '03 Petroleum Engineering)
- Tisha Conoly Schuller (BS '94 Earth Systems), Colorado Oil & Gas Association, Denver, CO
- Richard Sears (BS ’76 Physics, MS '76 Geophysics)
- Mark S. Sexton (BS ’78 Mechanical Engineering), Inflection Energy LLC, Denver, CO
- Charles Shufeldt (BA '01 Economics, Computer Science), IOG Capital, Dallas, TX
- Dexter L. Yuen (MS '78 Petroleum Engineering), Union Bank, N.A., Los Angeles, CA
Ex Officio Members
- Pamela A. Matson, Dean, School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences, Stanford University
- Robert G. Lindblom, Consultant to the Stanford Management Company, Menlo Park, CA
- Sabrina Liang (BA '00 Economics, BS '00 Biological Sciences), Director, School and Department Funds, Stanford Management Company, Stanford, CA